Wednesday 12 February 2014

Top Ten Romantic Novels to Celebrate on Valentine's Day

comicvine.com

Ah, romance. I think Pepe Le Pew, that hopeless romantic stalker, said it best, "All is love in fair and war." Of course he also said, "Come back! Ze corned beef does not run away from ze cabbage."

Anyway, Valentine's Day isn't only about chocolates in a heart shaped box—a box that's been on the grocery store shelf since Boxing Day.

Did you know that February 14th is also International Give A Book Day?

Let's mix the two celebrations! Instead of a Hallmark card written by some stranger in their crusty housecoat, give your true love a romantic novel!

Or as Hermione Granger in Harry Potter Puppet Pals once said, "All I want for Christmas is...books! Just books!"

Here are the top heart melting picks to celebrate with your sweetheart.


#1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

"You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."

#2. The Republic of Love by Carol Shields

 "To be a romantic is to believe anything can happen to us."


goodreads.com

#3. Fault in Our Stars by John Green

 "You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices."  

#4. The Princess Bride by William Goldman

"As you wish."

                                                                       goodreads.com


#5. Atonement by Ian McEwan

"...falling in love could be achieved in a single word—a glance."  

#6. Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres

"When you fall in love, it is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake, and then it subsides. And when it subsides, you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots are become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is."

                                                                           Wikipedia.com

#7. The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough

"Belief doesn't rest on proof or existence...it rests on faith...without faith there is nothing.

#8. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

"One thing I truly knew - knew it in the pit of my stomach, in the center of my bones, knew it from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet, knew it deep in my empty chest - was how love gave someone the power to break you.

#9. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

"Thus with a kiss I die."

#10. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

"It's hard being left behind. It's hard to be the one who stays."

What book will you give this Valentine's Day?



3 comments:

Arianna said...

I gave myself Frankenstein because I have to write a historical analysis over it by next week.

Love your list! TFiOS is simply the best!

Laila N Mysis said...

Austen and TFiOS, hands down! I'm not a fan of Romeo and Juliet, and Twilight does not... inspire... warm and fuzzy feelings in me... and the rest I haven't read. I don't usually read books where the focus is on romance anyhow.

Cute post. I saw the title and I thought 'this is what single bookworms do to feel better' x)

LisaAnn said...

Such a great list! I literally got chills reading through all those beautiful quotes. Hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day, my friend! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...