Thursday 27 June 2013

Book Deal!!!


Yes, it's true, I'm going to be an author.

I have a two book deal with Nimbus Publishing.

BUSGIRL BLUES will be published in the Fall 2014 and JUST JESSE will follow in 2015.

Oh my, where to begin. Well, certainly not at the beginning because that's way too boring.

Here are the dirty details...

JUST JESSE was on submission with two different agents for a combined total of sixteen months.

I received over twenty rejections from publishers.

I had two editors ask for a revise and resubmit (neither led to the above deal).

I had one YES!

If you feel like you've been on submission forever and you think no one is ever going to like your work, I'm here to tell you it will happen. IT WILL HAPPEN.

Keep writing. Join a critique group. Keep writing. Enter contests. Keep writing. Send your work out into the world. Keep writing.

It's okay to get rejections. It's okay for editors not to fall in love with your work. It's okay to feel crappy about it sometimes. It only means that your book hasn't met the right editor yet. There is a lid for every jar, my friend. 

My recent success with BUSGIRL BLUES on Wattpad was a turning point. It gave me the confidence I needed to actually try and get myself published.

I sent BUSGIRL BLUES to Nimbus, hoping a small publisher who focuses on Atlantic Canada might be interested in my coming of age novella set in my home town of Chester, Nova Scotia.

A view of the front harbour in Chester. Isn't it gorgeous!
globeandmail.com



Penelope J., an editor from Nimbus (and my new bff) called me the end of May (on my niece's fifteenth birthday to be exact). She'd spent the day reading BUSGIRL BLUES and had just finished. She then proceeded to talk about the characters like they were real people who lived down the street and sometimes popped in to borrow sugar. She used words like; thrilled, excited, loved...

Then she made an offer to publish! I almost dropped the phone into the soapy sink full of dishes. Next we talked about JUST JESSE, so she asked for that too.

The next week I had a two book offer staring at me in the face.

That's right, people, my jar had found its lid.

Thank you so much to everyone who has ever read this blog, or read one of my stories on wattpad, or favorited one of my tweets, or smiled at me, or shared their Oreos at recess when my mom sent me with yogurt, or breathed oxygen...I think you see where I'm going with this.

Yes, I'm in love with the world.

Keep writing. Keep hoping. Keep dreaming. 

IT WILL HAPPEN!

And for God's sake, buy my books when they come out.

Enough talk, time to celebrate!









30 comments:

Heather Mihok said...

Congrats!! How exciting!! :-)

Heather Mihok said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacy McKitrick said...

Congratulations! Have you come down off your cloud yet? If so, you'll head straight back up there when you see your cover for the first time.

Exciting times ahead! Have fun with it. :)



Valerie Cole said...

Oh my gosh! This is fantastic news! I've been following your journey for a while now, Bethany and you've always been so positive and upbeat. I'm so happy to hear this news! Congratulations!! :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Bethany. I love the way you worded this post, especially the jar/lid analogy. Made me smile. :)

Ashley Turcotte said...

Yay! That's fantastic news!!! Congratulations, Bethany! I'm so happy for you! :D :D :D

Marisa Reichardt said...

Oh, this is the best news in my newsfeed today. Yay! I'm so very excited for you.

Unknown said...

I was wondering what the big announcement was. Congratulations and you deserve it.

Reina Laaman said...

Oh my goodness! I have been taking an extended break from the blog world, but I'm so glad I happened skim through it today. Congratulations! I've always appreciated your blog and thought you are a cool person. This makes me so happy.

Connie Keller said...

Congratulations!!! Wonderful news.

Arianna said...

Ha! I knew it! I'm so excited for you!!! I told you it would eventually happen!!! I'm so proud of you for not giving up! Way to go!!!

LLAP,
Arianna

Jaime Morrow said...

Congratulations! And I didn't realize your story was set in Nova Scotia. How awesome! I've been meaning to get back to the Maritimes sometime, so 'visiting' Nova Scotia again in your book should be great! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I am so incredibly happy for you! Couldn't happen to a more deserving writer and person. You are an inspiration and you motivate me to keep going after my dream of being published one day. I cannot wait to buy your amazing books when they are released!!! Congratulations!!!!!

BR Myers said...

Thank you soooo much everyone! All of your comments are sprinkles on my cupcake.

Jane Lebak said...

Woohoo!! **HAPPY BEAGLE DANCES!!!!**

David T List said...

Much congratulations to you! Way to stick it out.

Sus said...

Wow! Congratulations! That is so exciting. I can't wait to pick up a copy of your book when it's out!

Annette T. Dodd said...

Congratulations! I'm so pleased to see this news. :o)

Kathryn Rose said...

Yay!!!! Such great news! Congrats! <3

Cheryl Koevoet said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Bethany!!!!!!!! So FREAKIN' happy for you right now!!!!! OMG! Congratulations, girl!! I am so excited for you! Well done.

Okay, just breathe.......

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Angel Leigh said...

Congrats.

Katy Upperman said...

Bethany! Congratulations! I love reading this sort of success story -- it gives me hope!

I'm so happy for you, and I look forward to reading BUSGIRL BLUES next fall. :-)

Laila N Mysis said...

*SCREAMS*

Sorry about that. I had a feeling, but I didn't want to jinx it, but I SO KNEW YOU WERE GETTING PUBLISHED. YOU'RE AWESOME, YOU ARE x)

*sends all the love and party that can ever be sent over the net*

LisaAnn said...

WOOHOOOOOO!!!! I was HOPING this was the post I was going to get to read. I am sooooo happy for you! Soak this up, my friend. You deserve every blissful second!!!!! :)

Michael Seese said...

That is T-rrific!

Kimberly said...

Congratulations! I love your story and your enthusiasm for rooting us all on. :)

Lydia Kang said...

I knew it would only be a matter of time. That is fantastic news! Congrats!

Ninja Girl said...

Huge congrats!!! Is it silly that this made me tear up? I mean, I don't even know you (well a little from querytracker (I'm 'morethanafeeling' over there :)), but I'm so happy that you found your editor. As someone out on sub right now for about a year, I'm glad to see good things can still happen after that marker. Hope your books sell like hotcakes ;)
Ninja Girl

BR Myers said...

Thanks everyone! I'm thrilled to bits. Ninja Girl, keep the faith and keep writing <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...