Sunday 18 December 2011

Top Five Christmas Reads

Never mind rum and eggnog, thick hot gravy or the smell of a fresh fir tree. Okay, those are staples at my place every season, but what I cherish the most are my holiday books, fanned out on the coffee table.

And it doesn't matter if I down the whole story in one go or flip to a certain scene, a good Christmas read is as traditional as my awesome gravy (white wine is the secret). Here are my top five favorites. Drum roll...
  1. How The Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss.


A verse that begs to be read out loud! My Boris Karloff impression wins each year, hands down.











  1. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.
There are so many versions, but one of my favorites is an abridged version by Stephen Krensky. He entwines a subtle creepiness with the vulnerable side of humanity, making the characters flawed but likable. Dean Morrissey's wonderful illustrations give the book a Norman Rockwell aura as well.

  1. The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg.

         Just for the record, the bell still rings for me.




  1. The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde.

After the giant builds a high stone wall to keep the village children out of his flower garden, he faces the consequences of a continuous winter. Until one day, a small boy manages to push through a small hole.






  1. The Shepherd by Frederick Forsyth.

A World War II pilot gets lost in the fog on Christmas eve. The audio version by Alan Maitland is the best way to enjoy this holiday ghost story.

 
What are your favorite reads at Christmas?


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...